Well, the weather did cooperate and we were able to bring a taste of summer to January. If you’re not up for a BBQ right now I can hardly blame you, but file this one away for warmer days because it is a delicious meal.
The chimichurri is the star here, packed with flavor and not at all complicated to make. And it gave me a chance to pull out my mezzaluna knife! I bought it from the greatest old hardware store when I lived in North Beach half a lifetime ago. I don’t use it very often, but it is perfect for mincing a pile of fresh herbs. This is one of those recipes you should play with, substituting the cilantro for another herb depending on the dish.
Grilled Flank Steak and Zucchini with Chimichurri
- BBQ or Gas Grill
- 1 1/2 lb Flank Steak
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow crookneck squash
- 1/4 cup minced Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil, approx
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat gas grill or prepare charcoal BBQ for grilling. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Slice zucchini and squash lengthwise and spread on platter. Brush lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine parsley, cilantro, garlic, capers, vinegar, chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small mixing bowl. Add approximately 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, mixing well to combine. Leave at room temperature for flavors to meld.
- Grill steak approx 6 minutes per side depending on desired temperature. Remove from grill and allow to rest while you grill the squash, which takes about 2 minutes per side.
- Slice steak against the grain and serve alongside zucchini drizzling both with chimichurri.
- Chimmichurri can be made several hours ahead, cover and leave at room temperature.
We added a few roast potatoes and mixed greens tossed with olive oil and balsamic to our dinner. I really like a basic salad as well as a cooked vegetable with dinner, because most days I have a heartier salad for lunch. (And that is not just when I am on the Whole 30.) Tonight’s dinner, just like the grilled chicken from a couple of nights ago, will provide perfect salad fare for tomorrow.
I will be back tomorrow with the long promised fritatta recipe from Jason! See you then…
One thought on “Whole 30 Day 5, Grilled Flank Steak and Zucchini with Chimichurri”